Our Shared Taxi feature gives you the option to book a Shared Taxi ride within the Via app (in addition to a regular Via). You’ll get a 40% discount off the metered fare for any portion of your trip that is shared.
Here’s how it works:
- Request a ride through the Via app; if our algorithm finds a nearby available taxi, you’ll see a new booking option (in addition to your regular Via option): Shared Taxi. No more hailing cabs from the curb!
- Just like any other Via, the Shared Taxi will pick you up on a nearby street corner.
- Shared Taxi fares are calculated using the meter. If we find another party headed your way, we’ll seamlessly match you and you’ll save 40% on any shared portions of your trip!
- If you ride does not end up being shared, you’ll be responsible for the full fare.
- No cash necessary! You’ll pay and tip directly through the app. A default tip of $1 will apply to each Shared Taxi ride. You can adjust the tip amount any time before your drop-off.
We hope that with this partnership we can provide another option for our riders and give even more flexibility to how you travel, eventually providing the Shared Taxi service into areas not currently serviced by Via.
**“When your Shared Taxi ride is shared, you’ll receive a 40% discount off the TLC metered fare (including extras) for any shared portion of your trip. Booking fee will be reduced to $0.50 and state surcharges will be split evenly among shared bookings. You’ll also receive a 40% discount on the starting meter fare ($2.50), which will be charged to both parties on board. Rides with more than a +1 will not be eligible for Shared Taxi proposals. Shared Taxi trips are excluded from any ViaPass discount.